This is what’s up:
- It snowed here for the first time in years and I got to watch how Koreans dealt with it! I saw people shoveling snow with dustpans and students hiding snowballs in their pockets to throw at their friends. Also instead of spreading salt on the ground like back home theyjust threw sand everywhere and made little paths out of cardboard to create traction.
- It got really cold for a few days and because I have about a 30 minute walk to school, the little GnB school bus has been picking me up. The students were really shocked to see their teacher getting on the school bus and sitting with them. Now that it has warmed up a bit I usually opt for the trek 🙂
- We finished playing Zelda- The Ocarina of time!
- Evert discovered a new texmex restaurant called Tacoholic! (An American opened it obviously…)
- I found a moldy clementine in my purse (oops!) but it’s all good because I got a new one!
- An eight-year- old named Ed came to my rescue in class by killing a large bug.
- Evert and I were interviewed by KBS a couple of weekends ago. We were asked how we felt about these prototype garbage cans that were displayed. I think it was meant to improve the number of garbage bins on the street. I have no idea because I don’t speak Korean. Anyways my boss and some Korean teachers said they say us on TV and they said I was from the Netherlands, boo.
- Because Korean public schools had a month of winter vacation parents put their children in more activities such as English school. Needless to say my private school was busier than usual. My hours went from 2:30 to 8:30 p.m. to 10:00 a.m. to 6:10 p.m. for the month of January. I’m happy to welcome February, the kids will go back to their regular school schedules and I will go back to sleeping in!
- We’ve attended two goodbye parties thus far none of which were for foreignteachers. One was our Korean friend Don, who returned to his studies at the University of Colorado and the other, Elias, a Greek dude who was just kickin’ it in Korea for a few months. Good luck guys!